What is a Cervical Pillow & Its Benefits?
Waking up with neck pain is not the right way to kickstart your day. Many people now understand that there are ways to overcome that ordeal in the mornings. The kind of pillow one uses while sleeping also plays an important role. Some pillows are dedicated to easing the level of comfort while sleeping, like that of a cervical pillow.
A cervical pillow benefits the spine by maintaining its natural curve while the user sleeps comfortably. Many of these pillows come in various materials and designs, mainly depending on the needs of the user they can choose the one they need. Now, let us see the causes of neck pain and further see how a cervical pillow can be helpful.
What are the causes of neck pain?
The main causes or habits that can trigger soreness, stiffness, and pain in your neck are-
Sleeping Position - Even though everyone has their preferred sleeping positions, sometimes wrong sleeping positions can put you in trouble. For instance, when you sleep on your stomach, your neck may get twisted in one side for hours at a time and this can strain your muscles thus, causing the feeling of soreness and stiffness in the morning. Sleeping on your tummy can also put a strain on your back. So, try to avoid sleeping this way.
Pillow - A wrong pillow that doesn't support your neck and head, results to muscle tension in your neck, causing neck pain. Therefore, it will be better to change the pillow or use
an orthopedic pillow for neck pain especially if you are a cervical patient or your neck pain persists for long
Other causes - Sometimes, sudden movements like tossing your arms, turning around too much while sleeping, or frequent changes in positions or sedentary positions for a long time can create tension and stress in your neck. Other than this, certain sports
or accident can make you suffer from this issue after a few days.
How can a cervical pillow be helpful for your neck pain?
So, what is the solution to this issue? Well, trying to change your sleeping habits can prove to be beneficial but, for many people it won’t be easy, thus, replacing your regular pillow with an orthopedic pillow for neck pain will be the right option. This type of pillow supports your neck and head adequately and prevents neck stiffness. Apart from this, it will also prove to be helpful in -
- A good cervical pillow helps you maintain the normal cervical curve while sleeping on your back. This gives your muscles and ligaments time to relax and regain their normal strength.
- cervical pillow benefits side sleepers by preventing any unnatural bending of your neck. It supports and relieves any tension in your back and shoulder muscles, increasing blood flow to your head.
- Using a cervical pillow is not just helpful in your neck pain but also helps in improving sleeping posture.
How to Choose a Right Cervical Pillow?
With many benefits, a cervical pillow becomes a must-try product. But it won't be helpful enough if you don't select the right one. You would find many choices but make sure to shop for the one that is of the right size , can bend and is able to easily accommodate your head and neck. We would suggest selecting the one which satisfies your preferences and doesn't cause any kind of discomfort ever. Elviros cervical pillow can be a good option for your neck support. Furthermore, it is made up of memory foam, is very economical, and can be used by anyone.
Other ways to prevent neck pain
It is always better to prevent things, before it gets worse. The same goes for the case of neck pain. Even if you have started using a cervical pillow, try following these preventive measures for extra added benefits-
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach and try sleeping on your back.
- Refrain from using pillows that are either too stiff or too deep. Instead, use a feather pillow that can easily mold into the shape of your neck and head.
- Try not to tuck your phone between your ear and shoulder while on a call as this may give you a stiffed neck.
- Always hold your smart phones or tabs at eye level instead of bending your neck forward to look at it.
You can follow all these measures along with using a cervical pillow for keeping your neck pain-free. A cervical pillow benefits not only in neck pain but also gives you a comfy and relaxing sleeping time.
Even after trying everything you still experience neck pain, then it would be better for you to consult a specialist in this matter